Thursday, May 19, 2011

So many projects!

Well, where to start? Because I have just graduated and no longer have a job, I have found that I have a TON of extra time on my hands! Normally this would probably drive me crazy, but my mom and aunt gave me some Joann's gift cards for graduation.  I'm not very good at explanations, and I keep forgetting to take pictures of the actual processes of my projects..but I'll get better with time.  Let me know if you have any questions!

I think i'll start with the most boring first:
We have this great rocking chair that we've been meaning to spray paint since we got married but we just hadn't gotten around to it.  But we finally did! 

The chair was originally green and had a wood seat to it, but it matches our family room a lot better now!

Next project:
 I had these old green knit sweatpants that had turned into high waters due to shrinking in the dryer..So! I finally just chopped them off and made them into shorts:

Well, after cutting off the excess I totally had a great idea!  I figured that I could take the pieces and sew them together and they would make a great little girl's skirt! Here's what I came up with:

It looked kind of plain though so I decided to add some embellishment to it and this is what I came up with:

I got the idea for the embroidery from Martha Stewart's website:

Project #3:
Recently I went to this great little thing called Gifts of the heart exchange.  They take donations throughout the year and then they have a big event where students can go and pick out different things that they need for their kids.  Well, while I was browsing I ran across this shirt that itself was quite ugly, but I thought the fabric had potential, so I grabbed it.

The Shirt:
Well, I was able to get around to doing something with it, and this is what I came up with:
The Process:
Step 1: I found a little dress that I liked off of and tried to make a little pattern off of it
Step 2: Making the pattern.  I found one of my old patterns (the one I used for the baby blessing dress) and traced that same pattern for the shoulder/armhole/chest area.  I then made necessary alterations so that it could look like the dress I was wanting in the end.
Step 3: Cut out the fabric.  For the skirt I just did long rectangular shaped pieces and gathered them along one of the edges.  I made the rectangle I wanted for the bottom piece a few inches longer than the piece used at the middle.

Step 4: I sewed it all together.  For the shoulder straps I just took rectangular pieces again and gathered them to make the scrunched look and attached them to the dress.
Step 5: Adding the embellishment.  I wanted to have some sort of embellishment because the dress itself was pretty plain.  I'm thinking about adding brown ribbon ties that come out from beneath the flower..but that just came to me late last night when I should have been I have yet to do that.  Anyway! I just took the ties from the old shirt and twisted them into the shape I wanted then stitched the flower down with a button in the middle.  And Voila! A dress!

Not sure why..but the pictures are uploading sideways..but oh well, you get the idea.

Project #4
Stephanie, my sister, showed me this great idea from a blog a while ago where you make a wall piece out of broken mirror pieces.  I've been wanting to make it since she showed me(sorry steph!lol) and it just so happens that we had an old mirror that either needed re-vamping, or tossing! SO! That became mine and Joel's project for the past couple of days!
Finished Product:'s how it went down.
The supplies(p.s. sorry, can't seem to figure out why it won't turn the pictures on here..)

The Board(A 2x4 board from Lowes)

Can of spray paint, liquid nails, and screws

And an old mirror

We spray painted the board white and let that dry, and taped down some plastic bags to hopefully catch the broken mirror pieces.  Joel then took news papers and placed them over the mirror, then smashed the mirror with a hammer(His favorite part of the whole project!).  The result:
We then began to arrange the pieces of broken mirror on the newly painted white board.  We arranged the big pieces and glued those down, then filled in gaps with little pieces and glued those as we went.
This picture was when we were arranging the big pieces:

This was when we were nearly done:
 Then, to joel's disliking we had to decide where we wanted to hang this heavy sucker.  I had joel hold it in a couple of places as I took pictures:
Isn't he so cute and strong?!lol

We finally chose a place for it and screwed it into the wall!
Finished Product:

This was such a fun project!

That's it for now! I've done more projects, but they'll have to be for another post.  Joel just got home and we're now going to watch a movie!


  1. <3! They're all so cute! I love the little girl dress!

  2. Holy crafty! I mean, I knew you were good but dang! You want to make me one of those cool mirrors and maybe even a baby blessing dress? Come on, you know you want to. :)

  3. Kristin and Joel,

    I just loved this! Sure was impressed with the creativity, the drive and ambition, and especially with the finished projects! I used to have that kind of get up and go but as has been said, "It has gotten up and gone!" Now everyone will want one of those cracked mirrors! You reminded me so much of my Mother, Kristin, with the little dress. She has done much the same thing with five daughters to make clothes for. Fabric is expensive, too! You did a great thing and it turned out to be a thing of beauty, that darling little dress!

  4. You are amazing!!! I love all of the projects you did, they all turned out so cute. I just found your blog! I am so glad I did. hope your pregnancy is going good. I miss you

  5. Wow. What talent. That dress is to die for cute!