Friday, July 1, 2011

Crochet a Cute Monkey Hat!

Ok, I have seen these on different people's blogs, but it occurred to me the other day that I could totally make one!
SOO I googled "crochet monkey hat free pattern" and eventually found one I liked pretty well.  I mostly followed her pattern, but I made just a few adjustments.  For the pattern you can go to easymakesmehappy.blogspot.com.  This is hers:



I changed mine up just a little to make it look more like this one:
I found this at etsy.com in the citefuzz shop.  if you would rather, you can just buy them on there instead of making it!:)







Here's mine!




A problem solved: There have been a couple of times that I didn't know what different crochet terms were such as MC, CC, hdc..etc.. well, I figured out that if you go to google and type in "crochet terms" and insert the acronym after that that I have been able to find out what it meant.  THEN! I found that if I don't know how to do a particular stitch, people have done GREAT tutorials on youtube and you can learn how to do any stitch you want! So! To make it easier, I'm going to make a little glossary for the terms in this pattern and the flower pattern that I got from littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com with links to tutorials if necessary.

Glossary:

MC = Main Color

CC = Contrasting Color

st = stitch 

Rnd = Round

How to do a slip knot

ch = chain


On this pattern when she says join, that just means do a slip stitch( a.k.a. sl st) into the top of your last round



Note** the number in (parentheses) at the end of each step are just the stitch count for each step/row you do.

only on the flower pattern:
tc = triple crochet


 Here are the few alterations that I did:
I didn't feel like she made it very clear that when you get to the end of round 7 and before you start your earflap that you are suppose to tie it off and start fresh with the earflap. Remember that for the earflap you are doing 12 stitches, so make sure that you start in the right place so that the ear flap is centered on the right and left side of the hat.

For the chains that make the ties on the hat, she said to do 41 chains, but I felt that this was too long, so I just did 30 chains and thought that was long enough.  You can adjust it to your liking though!

For the ears, between round 2 and 3 I put in another row where I did the usual 1 chain, but then I repeated *2 sc in next, 1 sc in next* until all the way around the ear.

For the flower, I used the pattern, I just made 2 of the flowers and overlapped them.  I made one flower using a G hook, and then made the other using the I hook and then joined them together.

3 comments:

  1. umm i'm dying. that's adorable! good for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the CUTEST little hat! Kristin, you sly fox, you! Who would have thought you'd grow up to be so gifted! I'm excited about all of my grand kids gifts and talents and it just amazes me! You know succeeding generations are supposed to get better and in this case it did! Love you, Girl! This is going to be the best dressed baby! My mother was just like you--always making something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH. ADORABLE! You little crocheting woman! I sure love you & your adorable hat!!

    ReplyDelete