Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Re-vamping a Crib/Bassinet Bumper

For this bassinet bumper I used an old-school winnie the pooh fabric bumper that I cut off the fabric and re-covered. Here's how:


1.To get started you have to measure your old bumper and make sure that you get the right amount of fabric. I believe I got 1 & 1/2 yards for this bassinet and there was a little extra leftover. Don't forget to add in the fabric that you need to make the ties for holding the bumper onto your crib edges.

2. Before doing anything, I cut off the old fabric as lose to the seams as I could. If you would like to unpick everything, be my guest! I didn't feel like taking the time, and it looked good even without doing all that work.

3.To measure my fabric, I layed the fabric over my bumper  and rolled it over once, then added about 2 inches to the end for extra fabric so that later I could roll it over and stitch it closed. I did sew 3 pieces together so that it would be the length that I needed it to be.

These 2 pictures are just to show you how to cut your fabric, when you are cutting, you will want your bumper to be about 2 inches inside the edge of your fabric on the ends so that you have fabric to close off your 2 ends.


4. Roll the top of your fabric around the top edge of your bumper and pin it in place.


 5. Using the other side of your fabric, roll it under and then pin it over the top of the fabric that you rolled over the edge in step 4. It should look something like this:

 6. When you get to the end, fold the fabric to create a nice corner and pin in place.



 7. Hand stitch all the way around! Once that is finished you just need to do the ties. Do this by folding your fabric that you have cut for them in half, hot-dog style, right sides together. Sew along the long edge and then turn right-side out. To be honest, I took a shortcut and just cut the ends of the ties and put a little fray-check on the edges then sewed a little line of stitching along that edge. I felt it took too long to roll the fabric under and sew it, and I knew that it was just the ties, so I took a little shortcut. SHHH..Don't tell my sewing teacher..:/

You're done! You now have a custom bumper! It's pretty easy and makes it look SOO much better. No more winnie-the pooh bear fabric!:)

I haven't done the ties yet in this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment