Friday, September 30, 2011

Project #2: Baby Butterfly Shirt

Here's yesterday's project!

The Baby Butterfly Shirt.  I got this idea from here.  The pattern cost money to get, so I attempted to make my own pattern. 

I looked at her pieces and just tried to mimic the look. To the right is the sleeve, and below is the bodice.

I then put the bodice pieces right sides together and sewed the side seams by starting at the bottom of the armhole down to the  bottom corners of the shirt.

 I then cut strips that were about 2 inches wide and the length of the armhole.  You then fold that piece in half and then fold the 2 edges into that fold as shown above and below.

 Then I just pinned that piece onto the armhole and edgestitched it down.
Next I did the same sandwiching of the fabric as I did with the armhole covering, except I used my contrasting fabric and made it the length of the edge of my sleeve.

Then I attached it to my sleeve by edge stitching again.

After that I matched up the top of the armhole and the top of the sleeve and stitched them together by stitching directly on top of my old seam as shown below:

This is the result:
Next, I put about 4 inches of ease stitching on the front and the back of the shirt, and then ease stitched the entire sleeve of both sleeves. Then I gathered them.

After that I did another hotdog strip for the collar, pinned that on and edge stitched again.

After completing that I cut a slit into the front of the dress, zig-zagged the edge to prevent fraying, then turned that edge under and stitched it down. I put a button and sewed on some elastic to make an opening so her head would fit through the top.

I did one more hot dog strip for the bottom of the shirt and edge stitched that one on too.  Voila! Finished! You now have a cute and totally unique shirt!


  1. CUUUUTE!!!!! It turned out Great!!!

  2. You are so clever, Kristin! The best part was the cute photo of Siena at the last!!! So sweet!